Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 2nd, 2010 - Sunday


Today I went to Salzburg. It is one of the places that was on my top 10 places to go while I was over here. I’m so happy that I made the decision to hop the train in the early morning to see such a beautiful place. When I was younger, I had watched the “Sound of Music” and had heard that the tour was really neat to go on. So, I figured that I am only in Salzburg once, even though I wish and hope to be again, and I should just take the tour, so I did.


I had a bit of time before the tour started, so I could explore a little bit of the other parts of town. On my way to the bus stop, I went into the Mirabell Gardens. An orchestra was warming up for a show later that day, and it was really cool to hear traditional Austrian music while walking around looking at all the beautiful flowers and fountains. The bus tour was great. They took us to a bunch of different scenes from the movie, including the two places used for the front and back of the Von-Trapp residence, the gazebo and the wedding church in Mondsee. “One of my favorite things” about the whole day was going into the Lake Regions where some of the scenes from the beginning of the film were set. I grabbed a quick sandwich for our lunch stop and was able to sit on a mountain overlooking one of the lakes.



After the bus tour ended It started to thunderstorm. I walked in it for a little while trying to take in as much of the city as I could before I had to catch the next train back to Vienna. Riding on the 3 hour train ride in soaking wet jeans and shoes was not too much fun, but definitely well worth the wonderful day that I had.


Katie Dougherty

No comments:

Post a Comment