Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March 29th, 2010 - Monday

Today was our second day in Poland, and we were off to the salt mines. I really had no idea what to picture when I found out we were going to the salt mines, as I had never really heard of them before. When we pulled into the place we had to wait a little while for our tour, but it seemed like before we knew it it was time to go underground. I was unhappily greeted by 300 something stairs that we had to walk down to get to the first part of the tour. What seemed like an eternity of walking down stairs finally came to an end. Then we were on our way for the tour. I would have never pictured salt mines like the one that we were in. We saw sculptures and even a full church underground. It was almost unreal to see. My favorite part of the tour, however, was getting to lick the walls! I was very hesitant at first, but after watching some other people do it I figured it was a once in a life time experience. So I tried it, and it was awesome! You have never tried salt like this before. Then we got to try salt water, and again it was awesome--such a cool experience. Another part of the tour I really enjoyed was a display of gnome sculptures, and we were told that if you smiled at one of them in particular it would bring you luck! I thought it was pretty cool!

Soon enough we were heading back to ground level. The ride to the top was a very, very scary 45 second elevator ride. I was pretty happy when we hit the surface. After the mines we headed back to the hotel and went out to grab some late lunch. After some pizza everyone felt the need for a nap. After napping it was dinner time we went to one of our favorite places in Poland, AWIW, and it was a wonderful last night dinner. We were able to get some amazing Polish food, followed by an even better dessert of raspberries and ice-cream.

After dinner we looked around for a store to find some snacks for the 10 hour train ride ahead of us. But after a little while of searching and not finding anything, it looked like it was time to head back to the hotel. Once we got back it was time to pack quickly and go to bed; we have to be up so early. Ugh! While lying in bed I couldn’t help but think about how much I loved Poland and that I cannot wait to keep traveling!

-Ally
Salt Mine
PHOTOS by Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment